Monday, January 20, 2014

FTL: Faster Than Light. Game Review

I recently started to play a game that I bought awhile ago, but never really put much time into. FTL: Faster Than Light. FTL is a rouge-like game, where you micromanage a starship through eight randomly generated sectors. The game is not very complicated on the surface, but gets much harder as you progress.

In FTL, you travel through 8 randomly generated sectors, fighting ships, collecting scrap, upgrading your ship, finding crew members, and much more. Each sector consists of "beacons", which are randomly generated. To travel from beacon to beacon, you Faster Than Light Jump. (Hence the name).

A map of one sector:
 

When I first sat down and played FTL, I thought that the game was going to be very easy. How could a game where I can breeze through the first sector in under 5 minutes be difficult? I was so hopelessly wrong. FTL requires you to be able to strategize your final boss battle from the second you start the game. If you reach sector 7 and don't have the right things upgraded, you could lose to the first ship you find. FTL isn't a game you can beat the first time you play through. It requires you learn what to prioritize, and what to ignore. I highly suggest everyone go buy it on Steam for $9.99, and I will have a gameplay going up soon!

Rating: 9/10

The only reason this would not get a 10/10 is because the game can be kind of boring when first starting a run, as you have little options until later on. I sometimes don't want to play because I know I'll have to go through the first 3 sectors, which are easy and boring. This can be solved by playing on normal instead of easy, but normal is incredibly hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment